Procedure Type: Board
Related Policies: B2000 Unity of Control, B4000 (Section 1) Governance Commitment, B4000 (Section 3) Board Authority & Responsibility, B4001 (Section 10) Trustee Vacancy
Linked Procedures: None
Related Laws: 110 ILCS 805
Related Standards: None
HLC Criterion: 2C, 5A, 5B, 5C
The election of the members of the Board shall be nonpartisan and shall be held at the time an in the provided in the general election law. However, when a vacancy occurs, the remaining members shall fill the vacancy within 60 days after the vacancy occurs.
The provisional Trustee appointed within 60 days, shall serve until the next regularly scheduled consolidated election.
The process for filling a vacancy:
- An advertisement seeking applications to serve as an appointment member of the Board is placed in local periodicals.
- Candidates should have the ability and time to fulfill the responsibilities of being a Trustee:
- Fully participate in the work of the Board, attending all board meetings and key college events as time permits, studying and discussing policy issues, and participating in trustee education programs;
- Be knowledgeable about the communities served by the college and be willing to act on behalf and for the benefit of those communities;
- Engage in balancing the needs of many diverse groups and be able to
contribute to and build consensus, and;
- Contribute to effective board functioning and support the authority of the
board as a whole.
- Resumes and cover letters are received and are reviewed by the Board.
- The Board Chair recommends appointment of provisional Trustee after interviewing applicants.
- The provisional Trustee takes the Oath of Appointment at the next regularly scheduled Board meeting.
|Date of Change
|Description of Change
|Board of Trustees