I. Mission Statement
To provide a unified voice in the protection of our retirement investment by acting in concert with other Annuitant Associations across the state. To provide a vehicle by which our voice will be heard through lobby in Springfield. To increase our numbers and become more politically active in protection of the retirement investment.
II. Who we are
A. Membership is open to all retirees of the State University Retirement System (SURS), their spouses AND to current contributors to SURS.
B. Officers of SCCAA
- President – Dale Bishop
- Vice-President – George Floyd
- Treasurer – Diane Harvell
- Secretary – Beverly Bishop
- Corresponding Secretary – Janice Eddleman
C. Current membership = 34
III. Current Concerns
A. Financial Status of the State of Illinois – A 5 billion dollar debt.
B. SURS Fund – Contains 9 billion dollars.
C. Proposals by the Governor
- Reappoint the SURS Board of Trustees and replace all members.
- Incorporate SURS funds into the General fund.
- Declare a “contribution holiday”. Currently the state is mandated by law to add funds to SURS each year. Declaring and passing a “contribution holiday” would permit the state to skip funding for a year or longer. This was done to the public school pension fund in the mid 1970’s and the fund has not recovered from the effects to date.
- The practice of padding income during the 4 last years of employment is common in many school systems thereby diminishing the amount projected to remain in the fund.
D. Strength in numbers
- We need all former and current SCC employees to join to make our voice louder.
- Encourage spouses to join.
E. Cost: Current dues are $24.00 per year. The cost of a soft drink per pay period will help insure that the fund is intact when it is time for your retirement.
Contact for More Information
Chief Financial Officer – 1-800-481-2242 ext. 3242