Shawnee Community College
The Executive Assistant reports directly to the Vice President of Administrative Services and Executive Director of Human Resources (HR) and is responsible for providing administrative secretarial support including; developing and maintaining numerous financial spreadsheets, assistance in tracking various construction project paperwork, maintaining files & contracts, performing data entry, mail distribution, and various other office duties as assigned.
- Associate degree in Secretarial Science or other Business field from a two-year college or technical school or;
- 3-5 years of experience and a demonstrated track record of accomplishment in a support role.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Prepare requisitions for the Administrative Services and Human Resources divisions.
- Assist with Colleague duties as assigned.
- Prepare proposed Board Recommendation Memorandums.
- Coordinate and arrange meetings following appropriate Open Meetings Act policies; prepare agendas, reserve facilities & appropriate meeting rooms, and record minutes of meetings.
- Assist in operation of the postage meter (including refilling postage funds) and printer/copier equipment.
- Compose, type and maintain in electronic versions, routine correspondence for both Administrative Services and Human Resources
- Organize and maintain file system, correspondence and other records by electronic and by other means. Makes copies of correspondence or other printed materials and share with other departments as appropriate.
- Serve as recorder for assigned college committee(s).
- Order and maintain inventory and stock breakroom supplies, as assigned.
- Organize requisitions, purchase orders, budget modifications, general ledger postings and other internal and external correspondence, as directed.
- Maintain official bid files for the college.
- Maintain official athletic, student liability and general insurance files for the college.
- Request and file all certificates of insurance.
- Serve as backup for the main entry reception area (Student Services, One Stop, Home Base) as assigned.
- Complete campus Safety Reports (including Clery) and provide to all groups as required, including Board of Trustees.
- Schedule, organize and manage the day-to-day activities of the assigned office and assure efficient and effective office operations.
- Communication of accident/ incident reporting requirements to employees as well as the maintenance of OSHA reporting logs.
- Maintain names, numbers and funds for e2campus (Saints Alert) and Call Em All.
- Complete annual paperwork as required for prevailing wage.
- Gather and file all certificates of publication (as part of the Bid Process and all other processes as needed).
- Maintain inclement weather contacts and procedures.
- Maintain a Calendar of Events in conjunction with any Requests for Facilities Usage. reserving rooms for all (Internal/External) events held on campus. Ensure all documentation is properly attained and filed, with communication to all parties.
- Prepare & distribute the weekly setup instructions for Maintenance, IT, and A/V departments for events held on campus.
- Maintain the college approved caterer list, making sure we have current documentation on file for each caterer.
- Maintain the employee printable telephone directory as well as provide to IT for Website updates.
- Maintain official digital and physical lease and contract files for the college.
- Assists with ALL Administrative Services Shared Governance Councils and Teams as well as all Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Councils and Teams (as assigned) and its clerical responsibilities. Responsibilities include recording minutes, establishing meeting locations and Zoom links when appropriate.
- Ensure applicants, employees, vendors, and College employees receive excellent customer service in all interactions with the Office of Administrative Services and Human Resources.
- Schedule College employees for orientation on personnel policies, procedures, and programs, through such means as orientation sessions, employee handbooks, HR website maintenance, college intranet (i.e., MYSCC), social media posts, memos, various meetings, and the use of informational employee bulletin boards.
- Support other Departments by providing data needed for reports.
- Monitor the Administrative Services and Human Resources Department budget.
- Assist with College-wide budget planning processes by forecasting resources.
- Assists with the Implementation of policies and procedures used in emergency and/or crisis management situations.
- Performs other related duties which may be required by the President (i.e. duties that may not be specifically listed in the class specification or position description, but are generally within the occupational series and responsibility level associated with the employee’s class of work).
SKILLS & ABILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and should demonstrate the following competencies. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Problem Solving: Identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; gather and analyze information skillfully; use reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Confidentiality: Ability to keep a strict standard of confidentiality.
- Planning/Organizing: Prioritize and plan work activities; use time efficiently; organize or schedule other people and their tasks.
- Professionalism: Approach others in a tactful manner; react well under pressure; treat others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accept responsibility for own actions; follow through on commitments.
- Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of database software; spreadsheet software and word processing software (Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Adobe platforms, Google platforms, Visio, Zoom and Microsoft Teams, and Internet Explorer). Experience with Ellucian Colleague is preferred. Experience with other Constituent-Related Software is a plus.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Associate degree in secretarial science or business field from a two-year college or technical school or three years related work experience and/or training required.
CUSTOMER SERVICE STATEMENT
Consistently performs duties with concern, courtesy, and respect for all persons in a prompt and timely manner. Must work cooperatively with students, employees, and community members and be sensitive to issues of student and employee diversity. Consistently exhibits responsiveness to others in the organization at all levels and responds to requests for assistance from students, staff, and community members in a helpful and timely manner with attention to detail. Must be able to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to position. Lifting items up to 20 pounds in weight.
Sitting for prolonged periods of time.
Work is primarily in an office/school environment. Noise levels usually are moderate.