Website Shawnee Community College
Public two-year comprehensive community college
Leads and develops comprehensive programs to expand access to learning opportunities, learning resources, and learner support. This position oversees distance learning, audio/visual department, Moodle LMS, and faculty development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned
- Continually strive to achieve the College Mission, Vision and Purposes, and model the College’s Core Values.
- Provide leadership for distance learning activities offered in a variety of media. This will include working with the academic divisions to establish distance learning class schedules, identify courses appropriate for interactive video (ITV), web-based or web-enhanced delivery, identify and train faculty, and develop curricula. Articulate a vision for the appropriate uses of learning technologies in a comprehensive community college.
- Provides direction on online courses, workshops, and faculty development. Ensures online course management programming support is addressed
- Helps provide direction on tools that will be used to aid in student learning.
- Provides training and support to faculty and college personnel in the development and delivery of interactive video courses, Smart Classrooms, and remote technology.
- Manage workload and daily activities of the Audio-Visual department. Provides leadership and support to all events that have audiovisual needs. Willing to adjust daily work schedule for events outside of normal work hours. Provides support for all classroom audiovisual needs at main campus and extension centers with aid of the Education Technology Specialist.
- Assist division chairs and faculty in identifying development needs. Design and deliver a faculty development program, through oversight of the Education Technology Specialist.
- Assure the provision of appropriate learner support services that address a broad range of technology skill levels, and includes direct support of online students.
- Select and train departmental staff, including evaluation of performance, identification of professional development needs, and continuous improvement of departmental processes.
- Manage activities necessary to support the instructional functions of the institution, including selection, configuration, and administration of learning management platforms, and systems to collect and analyze data.
- Ensure that faculty and staff are informed about College activities as well as local, state, and national educational trends pertaining to the application of technology in education.
- Keeps informed of the new developments in instructional technology. Serves as a resource to faculty, staff, and administrators in understanding the benefits of technology-based instruction and other instructional delivery methods.
- Inform decisions and recommendations through the analysis or relevant data and information whenever possible. Advise administration on facility, hardware, software and system needs to create and support the most productive learning environments.
- Work closely with the Education Technology Specialist on ITV and classroom hardware and software installations and updates.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITES
- Serve on College Committees, Councils and Teams as needed or assigned.
- Work with school districts to develop awareness of distance learning options and to develop potential partnerships and projects that can enhance distance-learning initiatives at the regional level.
- Work with other institutions of higher education and related consortia on a regional, state and national level that will assist in the development of the college’s distance learning program.
- Work with college faculty and staff to explore how technology platforms developed for distance learning can provide additional resources and opportunities for campus-based programs.
- Collaborates with the Director of Information Technology to ensure the college has the technology infrastructure to support teaching and learning.
- Monitor and be aware of State Authorization Issues that pertain to distance learning.
- Serve as a member of the Extended Cabinet; contribute to strategic planning and implementation of institutional effectiveness measures, particularly as they relate to creating and sustaining a support structure for teaching and learning.
- Effectively contribute as a member of the Academic Administrators’ team in addressing academic and institutional planning issues.
- Assist with the Help Desk for students and employees.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Instructional Technology or one of the department’s areas of service.
- Progressive experience managing an academic support unit
- Teaching or training experience at the postsecondary level, particularly at a community college
- Knowledge and experience in best practices for distance education
- Broad knowledge of educational pedagogy, the application of technology, new methodologies, strategies, and needs of underprepared students
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, including record of effective team work and collaboration
- Ability to interact successfully with a broad constituency of stakeholders both on and off campus, both independently and as an effective team member
- Expertise in assessment, data analysis, and educational outcomes
- Knowledge of State and Federal postsecondary education accountability initiatives and trends, and accreditation standards and practices
- Master’s Degree in Instructional Technology or one of the department’s areas of service –OR– Master’s Degree in an academic discipline with an exemplary record in applying learning technologies to instruction
- Knowledge of budget preparation and fiscal management
- Understanding of the expanding role of the community college and the corresponding opportunities provided by a robust academic support structure
- Experience with learning management systems and instructional design processes
- Experience with course and/or program development
- Skill in examining and re-engineering operations and procedures, formulating policy, and developing and implementing new strategies and procedures
To perform other related duties which may be required by the supervisor. (related duties as required are duties that may not be specifically listed in the class specification or position description, but that are within the general occupational series and responsibility level typically associated with the employee’s class of work.)