Shawnee Community College
Receives and processes library materials; monitors periodicals; tracks overdue and lost library materials; and assists patrons at circulation desk.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
· Punctual and regular attendance is required.
· Creates and maintains patron accounts in Polaris library automation software program.
· Assists patrons in locating items and checking out items through the shared online catalog, including items in Shawnee College’s library and those from other libraries in the Illinois Heartland Library System. Participates in ongoing specialized training as needed for circulation activity.
· Places, receives, and tracks out-of-system interlibrary loan requests, and prepares daily shipments for interlibrary loan. Participates in ongoing specialized training as needed for interlibrary loan activity.
· Monitors receipt of periodicals and logs new items into Polaris library automation software program. Participates in ongoing specialized training as needed for serials management program in Polaris. Enters claims for lost or missing items in EBSCOhost online service. Processes discards on regular schedule.
· Assists librarian in cataloging new items. Compares bibliographic information of new items with library database catalogue records and processes new materials that match existing records, and tracks items that must be sent out for cataloging. Participates in ongoing specialized training as needed for cataloging activity.
· Prepares new materials for circulation, including property stamping, security stripping, call number application and covering.
· Monitors list of overdue or missing items, issues overdue notices and follow-up letters, and tracks delinquent accounts.
· Assists faculty with reserve item collections.
· Assists students with e-mail, printing, and Moodle course management system.
· Maintains office supply inventory and recorders as necessary, using proper requisition protocol.
· Checks book and AV orders for new materials against existing collection.
· Counts, records, and deposits money weekly from fines and printer fees.
· Instructs patrons in use of online catalog and basic database searching.
· Assists patrons in use of computer lab and audiovisual equipment.
· Monitors library classroom usage.
· Assists in periodic inventory of library materials.
· Answers phones and processes mail.
To perform other related duties which may be required by the Librarian, Director of Learning Resources and Instructional Technology and the Vice-President of Academic Affairs & Student Learning. (Related duties as required are duties that may not be specifically listed in the class specification or position description, but that are within the general occupational series and responsibility level typically associate with the employee’s class of work.)
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Limited to patrons in library.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Associates degree, computer proficiency, willing to assist library patrons, attention to detail and flexible hours.
Successful work experience in a high school, public, or college library.
High level of competency with essential computer skills, including email, document management, and web searching.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some lifting, reaching, bending and stooping.
Lifting: Must be able to lift up to 25 lbs.
The employee is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions.