Shawnee Community College
The Adult Education Instructor, at Alternative High School, is responsible for providing instruction for a full offering of High School-level coursework, including Mathematics, Science, English, Social Studies, Digital Literacy, and elective courses that lead to the completion of a high school diploma. In addition to academic skills, all courses have integrated employment and technology skills. This position requires exceptional technology skills and the capacity to teach classes face-to-face, online, and using a hybrid method.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Strong instructional technology skills required.
- A degree in education or a related field with experience in teaching or training at the high school level is preferred. Experience with student assessment and distance learning is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Create and sustain a supportive College culture that engages employees, recognizes diversity, ensures equity, promotes inclusion, and creates a sense of belonging by fostering an environment of teamwork, accountability, communication and vision.
- Collaborate with colleagues in a manner that supports program goals, requirements, and student achievement in a team environment.
- Meet classes according to regular class schedules and instruct students individually and in groups, in a classroom setting, as well as remotely. Adapt teaching methods to meet the needs of a diverse student population, including those with disabilities.
- Keep daily attendance and progress records.
- Conduct approved assessment, testing, enrollment, and placement into appropriate instructional areas.
- Assist in the guidance and counseling of students with an emphasis on student achievement.
- Implement student recruitment and retention activities and make appropriate referrals for support services.
- Provide student support at any Adult Education Center, including extension centers and offsite locations.
- Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning.
- Maintain class materials, technology, curriculum, and student records in accordance with program guidelines.
- Assist in the development and implementation of standards-aligned curriculum.
- Must successfully complete ICCB Orientation to Adult Education for Instructors training within 6 months of hire.
- Must participate in a minimum of twelve (12) hours of Professional Development activities during each fiscal year and any ICCB-required training to remain eligible to teach Adult Education courses, including obtaining an ICCB- Standards Proficient instructor credential within 2 years of hire.
- Perform other related duties which may be required by the Supervisor (i.e., duties that may not be specifically listed in the class specification or position description, but are generally within the occupational series and responsibility level associated with the employee’s class of work).
- General work hours are Monday through Friday, 7:45 a.m. – 4:15 p.m. Evening or weekend hours may be required to participate in other college activities outside of regular working hours.
SKILLS & ABILITIES include the following:
- Teaching competency in High School level coursework, including Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Digital Literacy, and elective courses.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Proficiency with (or the ability to quickly learn) the College’s Banner/Colleague academic system.
- Ability to work outside of the normally scheduled work day, when necessary.
CUSTOMER SERVICE STATEMENT
Consistently performs duties with concern, courtesy, and respect for all persons in a prompt and timely manner. Must work cooperatively with students, employees, government agencies, and community members and be sensitive to issues of student and employee diversity. Consistently exhibits responsiveness to others in the organization at all levels and responds to requests for assistance from students, staff, and community members in a helpful and timely manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to position. Lifting items up to 20 pounds in weight.
Sitting for prolonged periods of time.
Work is primarily in an office/school environment. Noise levels usually are moderate.
SALARY: $22.50 to $24.00/hour
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: Cover letter, Resume, Official Transcript(s)