Shawnee Community College
The Nursing and Allied Tutor facilitates nursing students learning within the Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA), Practical Nursing (PN), and Associate Degree Nursing (ADN) programs at Shawnee Community College. The Nursing and Allied Health tutor may also serve students within other Allied Health programs (Medical Assisting, etc.) as needed. This is accomplished by one-on-one time, group setting, and review of classroom material as well as lab material.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) required
- Licensed Registered Nurse in the State of Illinois
- Proficient with Computers/ Technology
- Two years of Nursing experience
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Create and sustain a supportive College culture that engages employees, recognizes diversity, ensures equity, promotes inclusion, and creates a sense of belonging by fostering an environment of teamwork, accountability, communication, and vision in cooperation with senior leadership.
- Provide one-on-one support for Nursing & Allied Health students in the areas of academic support, coaching, and planning, basic financial aid advising, financial literacy, career coaching, student involvement, and academic engagement while fostering student development through clarification of academic, professional, and personal goals using strategies that contribute to successful degree completion.
- Monitor the progress of Nursing students and provide necessary academic support to enable students to complete their course of study especially with at-risk students to reduce attrition through referrals to internal and external programs for additional support services and follow-up as needed.
- Maintain accurate knowledge of Shawnee Community College Nursing and Allied Health degree programs and articulate the requirements of graduation from online degree programs while working with students to develop an individualized pathway to reach their academic goals.
- Initiate strategic partnerships with various student service departments and stay current with all policies and procedures for the purpose of addressing time-sensitive student requests.
- Encourage and coach online students through life events, obstacles and that lead directly to greater levels of personal responsibility among Nursing students in their academic success.
- Schedule tutoring sessions for all ADN and LPN nursing students individually. Group sessions can be scheduled if several students need assistance in one particular area.
- Research and recommend study skills as part of orientation and workshops at the beginning of each semester
- Utilize online and textbook resources available to students.
- Prepare and facilitate workshops to teach test-taking skills
- Review exam concepts with students after faculty have worked with the student to identify patterns of improper studying, test taking, or understanding.
- Prepare students to successfully complete the NCLEX.
- Monitor student performance and assist in appropriate skills performance in the nursing lab.
- Assign tutorials on the computer when students are having difficulty in a particular area.
- Proctor online and classroom exams as needed.
- Assist students in developing focus reviews based on proctored exam results.
- Troubleshoot student access and problems with online products and resources.
- Coordinate and assist with clinical simulation and clinical make-up as needed.
- Assist in simulation setup and delivery.
- Maintenance of clinical simulation and laboratory equipment.
- Document student tutoring and support by maintaining accurate records of students for tutoring, remediation, simulation, coaching, advising, or individualized exam proctoring.
- Develop and maintain accurate, organized, and detailed student records in order to produce reports that inform retention tactics and strategies paying special attention to program objectives that lead to persistence and graduation.
- Maintain student records related to testing accommodations as provided by Student Services.
- Ensure compliance with federal and state laws, regulations, and guidelines including grant requirements, ICCB, & HLC reporting.
- Interpret, apply, and abide by the Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and parental confidentiality issues.
- Performs other related duties which may be required by the Dean of Allied Health & Nursing (i.e. duties that may not be specifically listed in the class specification or position description, but are generally within the occupational series and responsibility level associated with the employee’s class of work).
SKILLS & ABILITIES include the following:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees.
CUSTOMER SERVICE STATEMENT
Consistently performs duties with concern, courtesy, and respect for all persons in a prompt and timely manner. Must work cooperatively with students, employees, and community members and be sensitive to issues of student and employee diversity. Consistently exhibits responsiveness to others in the organization at all levels and responds to requests for assistance from students, staff, and community members in a helpful and timely manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to position. Lifting items up to 50 pounds in weight.
Sitting for prolonged periods of time.
Work is primarily in an office/school environment. Noise levels usually are moderate
SALARY RANGE: $41,500- $44,500
Required Documents: Cover letter, Resume, Official Transcript