Shawnee Community College
Shawnee Community College is a comprehensive institution which places primary focus on excellence in teaching and learning. Faculty members are expected to demonstrate and maintain competence in their subject matter and in their teaching performance.
We are currently seeking a highly qualified and passionate Information Technology Instructor to join our esteemed institution as full-time, tenured-track faculty member. This is an exceptional opportunity for an individual who is dedicated to excellence in teaching and has a strong commitment to student success. The ideal candidate will possess a profound understanding of information technology concepts and the ability to effectively communicate complex ideas to students of diverse backgrounds.
As a full-time faculty member, you will play a pivotal role in inspiring academic excellence among a diverse group of students. By actively engaging, challenging, and supporting students, you will create a fulfilling learning environment. As a full-time faculty member, you will also contribute to activities aimed at enhancing student learning outcomes, program quality, and discipline integrity, ultimately prioritizing student learning and retention. The successful candidate will join a dynamic team of educators and contribute to our mission of providing quality higher education services that are accessible, affordable, and promote life-long learning.
- A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in Computer Science, Computer or Software Engineering, Decision & Information Technology, Information Technology, Information Systems, or Information Security
- CompTIA Network+ certification or ability to obtain certification(s) within the first year of employment.
- 3 years of teaching experience
- Experience with curriculum design and development
- Commitment to the community college mission and philosophy
- Master’s Degree from a regionally accredited institution in one of the fields addressed above.
- Teaching experience in higher education
- 3-5 years of non-teaching experience in the field
- Ability to teach in more than one discipline (i.e. Accounting, Economics, etc.)
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Teach Information Technology classes as determined by the Vice President of Academic Affairs, Division Dean, and Department Chair. All faculty members will follow course syllabi approved by the college.
- Use a variety of methods and teaching strategies that reflect the different learning styles and needs of students.
- Demonstrate commitment to the teaching and learning process by participating in professional development activities promoting best-practices in information technology education.
- In cooperation with other faculty, prepare or revise course syllabi for courses offered in their discipline and submit to the Curriculum and Instruction Committee for review.
- In cooperation with other instructors, prepare textbook recommendations and submit to the Department Chairperson, Division Dean, and Vice President of Academic Affairs for review.
- Participate in the development, implementation, and documentation of appropriate assessment activities as directed by the Vice-President of Academic Affairs, Division Dean, and Department Chair. Utilize assessment results to improve teaching and learning in the classroom.
- Assist the Department Chair, Division Dean, and Vice-President of Academic Affairs with program development, program improvement activities, reports, and annual Program Review.
- Teach at the scheduled class time.
- Complete and submit grades, (Initial Progress grades (tenth day attendance), midterms and final grades), assessment documentation and other course related reports in a timely manner.
- Attend department meetings called by the Department Chair and faculty meetings called by the administrative officers.
- Maintain and post office hours on the office door and as filed in administrative offices as per CBA.
- Participate in 2 college committees (virtually or face-to-face) as established by the administration.
- Any preplanned absences must be preapproved by the Vice-President of Academic Affairs. Daily call ins must be reported to the front desk as far in advance as possible. The front desk will follow up with notification to appropriate supervisor and Vice-President of Academic Affairs.
- Assist in developing the department unit plan and make recommendations for equipment purchases.
- All faculty are expected to use a level of technology in the classroom which includes using the institutional Learning Management System (LMS) such as Moodle. LMS documents should include but not limited to the syllabus, course documents, discussion board, etc. This allows for faculty within the discipline and adjunct faculty to utilize these documents in case of an emergency.
- Assist students in meeting needs or solving problems, seeking additional help from other college services when necessary.
- Faculty may be involved in the student academic advisement.
SKILLS & ABILITIES include the following:
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with a proven ability to meet deadlines.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to adapt to the needs of the organization and employees.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and to delegate them when appropriate.
- Proficiency with (or the ability to quickly learn) the College’s Banner/Colleague academic system.
- Ability to work outside of the normally scheduled work day, when necessary
CUSTOMER SERVICE STATEMENT
Consistently performs duties with concern, courtesy, and respect for all persons in a prompt and timely manner. Must work cooperatively with students, employees, and community members and be sensitive to issues of student and employee diversity. Consistently exhibits responsiveness to others in the organization at all levels and responds to requests for assistance from students, staff, and community members in a helpful and timely manner.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to position. Lifting items up to 20 pounds in weight.
Sitting for prolonged periods of time.
Work is primarily in an office/school environment. Noise levels usually are moderate.
Salary contingent upon education and experience per the Collective Bargaining Salary Scale
THIS POSITION WILL BEGIN SPRING 2024
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: Cover letter, Resume, Official Transcripts, Letter(s) of Recommendation