Committee Name: Student & Community Outreach Team
Committee Type: Administrative – Hybrid
Mission/Purpose: The Student & Community Outreach Team (SCOT) supports academic and personal success for all students by recommending co-curricular policies and performing strategic activities aimed at improving the college experience for all students. The Team focuses on improving the physical, emotional, and social wellbeing of our students through the implementation of evidence-based best practices that improve the student experience and confirms the effectiveness of these practices by obtaining student feedback.
Scope of Responsibility:
Policy functions of the SCOT are:
- Recommend improvement to the College’s co-curricular policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Recommend policies, procedures, and guidelines for promoting campus safety, accessibility, and promoting an inclusive campus climate for students.
- Recommend policies, procedures, and guidelines for student conduct and discipline.
- Recommend policies, procedures, and guidelines aimed at assisting students with obtaining their fundamental needs (housing, transportation, food,
professional clothing, etc.).
Operational functions of the SCOT are:
- Perform strategic initiatives aimed at creating a healthy and safe campus environment.
- Expand and support the diversity of the College’s student population.
- Promote initiatives that provide opportunities for the development of our students and community.
- Offer student engagement activities i.e. guest speakers, clubs, support groups.
- Recommend and coordinate community education based on interest at all sites, utilizing campus and community individuals for instruction.
- Assist with the election and recommendation for Student Trustee.
- Provide multicultural events aimed at creating a more inclusive and unifying student experience.
- Assist students with the operation of a student governance structure.
- Plan annual commencement activities.
- Review and recommend approval status of charters for student organizations.
- Review and provide input on the College’s academic calendar.
Policy Responsibility: Student Life (A34xx)
Reporting: The SCOT advises the Vice President of Student Affairs through policy recommendations to the Student Affairs Council and performs operational activities for the Student Affairs Leadership Team.
Associated Committees: Student Affairs Council, Student Affairs Leadership Team, Recruitment & Enrollment, Student Success, SAAC, DEI, and Safety & Risk Management Team
Composition: Director of Community Education & Outreach Centers, Director of Recruitment & Enrollment, Director of Student Success, Athletic Director, Executive Director of Public Information & Marketing, Coordinator of Financial Aid/Veteran’s Affairs, Student Engagement Coordinator, Coordinator of HS Partnerships and Pathways, Academic Advisor/Recruiter (2), Transfer Faculty (1), CTE Faculty (1), Student Organization Sponsor (1), and Information Technology Staff (1), Staff (2)
Meeting Dates: Fourth Thursday of the month from 2:00p – 4:00p