It is the policy of the Board of Trustees that Shawnee Community College recognize the following holidays as official holidays of the College:
- Martin Luther King’s Birthday
- President’s Day
- Good Friday
- Memorial Day
- Juneteenth National Independence Day
- American Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Columbus Day
- Election Day (alternating years)
- Veterans Day
- Day Before Thanksgiving Through Day After Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve Day Through New Year’s Day
- Holidays that fall on Saturday or Sunday may, at the President’s discretion and based on the best interests of the College, be observed on Friday or Monday.
- In case of emergency or if it should be in the best interest of the College, the President may declare holidays in addition to those established by the Board and notify faculty, staff, and students accordingly.
- In case of emergency during which the campus is inaccessible for instruction for periods longer than the emergency make-up days identified on the annual academic calendar, the President may convert official holidays to emergency make-up days according to Systems Rules Manual of the Illinois Community College Board (ICCB) Section 1501.303 e. 6.
- The Board of Trustees may, for a special and significant purpose, declare an additional holiday.
Non-exempt employees: work done by non-exempt employees who are asked to work on holidays will be paid double time. Non-exempt employees that work on a day that falls on a day that others have off (Monday through Friday) will be paid at one and one-half time the normal rate of pay.
Revised: November 2004 effective Spring 2006 calendar, July 2016, May 2020; January 2022, February 2023