Credit by examination is subject to the following:
- Credit by examination may not duplicate credit earned at Shawnee Community College or received in transfer.
- Credit by examination may not be given for a lower level course when students have received credit in the subject area beyond the course in which the examination is requested.
- A student currently enrolled in a course but desiring to earn credit by examination must apply for and complete the examination by the end of the fourth week of classes.
- A student cannot receive credit by examination and subsequently enroll in the course and earn a grade.
- A proficiency examination may not be attempted more than twice in a given course.
- Course credit earned by examination will be recorded as “Proficiency Credit’ or “CLEP Credit.” No transcript record is entered unless the examination is successfully completed. No grade is recorded, nor can a prior grade be changed or removed by credit by examination. Credit earned by examination is not included in the computation of a student’s grade point average (GPA).
- A maximum of 30 credit hours toward an associate degree or one-half of the credit hours for a certificate may be credited.
- A person seeking credit by examination must have previously completed courses in which credits have been earned at Shawnee Community College.