The Accessibility and Resource Office coordinates accommodations, auxiliary
aids, support services and resources for students at the three Shawnee
Community College sites as well as its satellite locations. Shawnee
Community College is committed to diversity & inclusion and promotes
student access to an equitable college experience. Services are coordinated
in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act as Amended and
Section 504 of the Vocational Rehabilitation Act.
We serve a diverse group of students including those with physical, vision,
hearing, psychiatric, medical, neurological, autism spectrum, ADHD, learning
disabilities and cognitive disabilities. We also coordinate temporary
accommodations for students that experience significant injury or illness.
To receive services, students should:
In addition to providing support services to students, The Accessibility and Resource Office supports faculty in providing student accommodations.
We also provide faculty training and education opportunities related to accessibility and teaching students with disabilities.
- Self-disclose disability and apply for services.
- Provide verifying documentation.
- Meet with the Accessibility and Resource Coordinator to determine what
accommodation best meet your needs based on the documentation and
- Meet with teacher and/or Accessibility and Resource Coordinator as
needed and self-advocate regarding needs.
The Accessibility and Resource Office embraces the social model of disability
and is passionate about advancing equity, accessibility and inclusion. I look
forward to working with you as a partner in these efforts.
For More Information Contact:
Heather Casner - Accessibility and Resource Coordinator
at 1-618-634-3228 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Guidelines on Documentation:
- Students should submit current documentation from a qualified professional which indicates the following:
- Diagnosis of disability.
- How the disability affects your education.
- Recommendations on the best way to meet the student's needs are appreciated and will be considered when determining accommodations.
- To best serve the students in our area, Shawnee Community College will accept copies of IEP's or 504 plans from the student's high school.
- Check your documentation to be sure it is current (within the past five years).
- The documentation must support the accommodation requested.
Description of Facilities
Shawnee Community College has provided the following in an effort to meet
the needs of people with disabilities:
Automatic doors, handicap accessible restrooms, and access ramps, are
provided throughout campus.
Handicap accessible parking is readily available at all Shawnee Community
Elevators are located in the K and L buildings of the main campus in Ullin.
The Anna, Metropolis, and Cairo locations are single level buildings.