of General Studies
The General Studies Associate Degree program is designed to:
- Provide an avenue for those who wish to complete a general program but
do not wish to pursue an occupational or a baccalaureate-oriented program.
- Provide students with opportunities to explore their potential abilities
and interests through a program of liberal studies.
NOTE: Selected courses within the program may be transferable.
General requirements for graduation with an Associate in General Studies
(AGS) Degree include:
- Successful completion of sixty-four (64) hours of college credit.
- Achievement of a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.0 (C) or
higher for all credit earned at Shawnee Community College .
- Earning a minimum of twenty (20) semester hours of credit at Shawnee
Community College .
- Passing an examination or (b) completing (with a passing grade) a specified
course pertaining to patriotism, principles of representative government,
proper use and display of the American flag, and method of voting. If such
examination is clearly evidenced on an Illinois high school transcript
or an Illinois high school equivalent certificate, it may be noted on the
college transcript in lieu of (a) or (b) above.
- Making application for graduation prior to graduation:
- Mid-term date of Spring Semester for May graduation;
- Mid-term date of Fall Semester for December graduation;
- Mid-term date of Summer Session for August graduation.
- Payment of all tuition and fees.
Course Requirements for graduation with an Associate in General Studies
(AGS) Degree are:
1. Required Courses Minimum 22 Semester Hours
a. ENG 111 - English Composition
b. ENG 112 - English Composition
c. SPC 111 - Speech
d. Mathematics elective
e. Science elective
f. Social Science elective
g. Humanities elective
h. SEM 111 - College Orientation
2. A minimum of six courses selected from 18 - 22 Semester Hours three
different subject areas within the divisions of communications, mathematics,
science, humanities, or social science.
3. Electives (May be taken from either 20 - 24 Semester Hours baccalaureate
or occupational fields of study). At least ten hours must be taken in one
field of study.
For More Information Contact:
Admissions and Advising
at 1-800-481-2242 or (618) 634-3200 or e-mail
Shawnee Community College
8364 Shawnee College Road
Ullin, IL 62992