Volunteer Literacy Tutor Job Description
To help adults 16 years of age or older to improve reading, writing, math, and English skills.
- Good reading and writing skills
- Able to interact positively with a diverse population
- Patient, flexible, and friendly, good sense of humor
- Desire to profoundly change a person's life
Teach, support and encourage the adult learner by:
- Helping them develop confidence and a positive attitude about learning
- Treating them with respect and involving them in decisions relating to learning and goals
- Selecting materials and learning styles appropriate to the learner's ability
- Praising the learner's strengths and accomplishments
- Meeting regularly and on time
- Being prepared with a lesson designed to meet the needs of the learner
- Keep accurate and up-to-date records of your learner's progress
- Completing reports as requested by SCC program staff
- Notifying program staff of any change in tutoring status, schedules, location and data
- Successful Completion of Literacy Orientation and Tutor Training (12-15 hours).
- Tutor Session Location: This will be determined by the tutor/learner with the help of SCC Program staff.
- Time Commitment: A minimum of 2 to 4 hours a week, (more if you desire to do so), with flexibility to cancel or reschedule due to other commitments.
- Non-threatening environment to develop teaching and leadership skills
- Chance to meet like-minded people who love to read
- The opportunity to help change a life forever
To learn more about becoming a Shawnee Community College Literacy Volunteer Tutor, call Kyle Echols at 1-800-481-2242, 618-634-3222 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
More Information Contact:
Ginger McBride- Alternative High School Coordinator
at 618-634-3419 or e-mail