Job Title: Director of Auxiliary Enterprises & Bookstore Operations
Department: Business Services
Reports To: VP of Financial and Campus Operations
Responsible for the general management of operations in the college bookstore including, but not limited to, the following functions: selling, purchasing for resale, receiving/distribution, personnel management, information systems, financial management, public relations, and service related activities. Also responsible for identifying and managing other Auxiliary revenue and services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Responsible for the adoption and ordering of textbooks.
- Work with the faculty in the adoption of appropriate textbooks.
- Estimate textbook needs (new and used) to meet the needs of the bookstore but minimize overages and returns.
- Provide a master text list with change recommendations and timeline to Instructional Services.
- Prepare the textbook list with ISBN each semester to be placed on the college web site by the beginning of registration.
- Work with high school counselors to be aware of adoptions/changes and assist in text ordering.
- Maintain a current textbook inventory by doing necessary returns and selling overstock and outdated textbooks to wholesalers.
- Plan and promote the end of semester student buyback.
- Prepare an annual physical inventory of textbooks and supplies for the auditors to be completed by the end of June.
- Provide consumable list and other information to advisement prior to registration.
- Maintain bookstore website.
- Monitor and maintain bookstore budget.
- Maintain a current knowledge of the policies and procedures of publishers, distributors, and other vendors.
- Plan and supervise advertising, displaying, and selling of merchandise.
- Approve invoices for release of payment.
- Maintain and update the current data base for Inventory control and Point-of-Sale Systems.
- Train and supervise bookstore staff and student assistants assigned to the bookstore.
- Develop new auxiliary revenue sources.
- Oversee all new auxiliary services.
- Maintain open communication with all College departments.
- Maintain active professional liaisons on the state and national levels with other college stores.
- Develop and maintain professional relationships with faculty, staff, and students.
- Handle and resolve customer complaints and problems.
- Represent the college in local and state organizations and meetings, and maintain contracts with outside agencies as appropriate.
- To perform other related duties which may be required by the VP of Finance & Campus Operations or SCC President.
Bookstore assistant and part time employees including student workers
Education and/or Experience
Master's degree in business administration or related field.
Previous experience managing an auxiliary service preferred.
Minimum mathematical ability associated with this job:
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide all units of measure.
- Perform the four operations with like common and decimal fractions.
- Compute percentages.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Lifting: Raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to position. Lifting items up to 20 pounds in weight.
Work is primarily in an office/school environment. Noise levels usually are moderate.
Review of applications will begin immediately and
continue until the position is filled. If you are selected as a finalist,
you will be notified by telephone. No further information
concerning the progress of the search will be available until a
decision has been reached. At that time,
applicants will be informed of the decision by letter.
All applicants must submit all of the credentials
below to the Human Resource Office in order for your application to be
-- SCC Application Form
-- Letter of Application
-- Official Transcript(s) (sent to SCC directly
-- Proof of Certifications (if applicable)
-- 2 Letters of Recommendation
||Submit above listed materials to:
Ms. Emily Forthman, Human Resource Director
Shawnee Community College
8364 Shawnee College Road
Ullin IL 62992
For More Information Contact:
Emily Forthman - Human Resource Director
at 1-800-481-2242 ext. 3223 or e-mail