Alternative Secondary Education Program
Alternative High School Program
The SCC Alternative High School program provides an innovative path toward diploma completion. Students earn credits in a nontraditional setting which emphasizes attendance, academic achievement, and positive attitudes.
Classes for high school credit are offered to students who have dropped out of high school and wish to earn a high school diploma. Classes are offered at multiple locations in the district. Students must have a referral from a district high school.
For a student to be admitted into the Shawnee Community College Alternative High School Program, he or she must meet all guideline requirements as follows:
- The Alternative High School Program is designed to serve out-of-school youths over the age of 16 or adults residing within the college district.
- All students must be referred by their local high school and must have a referral form signed by their high school principal.
- The Dean of Adult Education will approve admission, retention, or re-admission of students into the program.
- All students must participate in a pre-assessment conference with Adult Education staff.
Student Participation Agreement
All students accepted into the SCC Alternative High School Program will be provided with the following:
- Pre-Testing and Post-Testing
- Referrals to other agencies when necessary
- Communications with studentís high school
- Transition services to college and careers
- Instruction will be individualized and competency based.
- Classes meet, Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. until 2:15 p.m.
- Classes are held at locations throughout the district and may include:
- Anna Extension Center
- Metropolis Extension Center
- Cairo Adult Education Site
- Rustic Campus
- All students will be considered students of SCC and will have access to college services.
- Students will be expected to provide their own transportation to and from campus unless other arrangements are made .
- All students will be expected to abide by all college rules and regulations, in addition to signing a rules agreement.
- All credit is granted by the local high school.
More Information Contact:
Ginger McBride- Alternative High School Coordinator
at 618-634-3419 or e-mail