This curriculum is designed to prepare students for entry into the vocation of Practical Nursing.
The curriculum includes theory coordinated with related clinical experience in the nursing care of patients as defined in the Illinois Nurse Practice Act.
The SCC LPN program has had 8 years of 100% pass rate for our students that take the LPN NCLEX examination.
The Associate Degree Nursing Program has specific
admission requirements due to enrollment limitations imposed
by physical facilities, state requirements and related criteria.
All applicants for the Associate Degree Nursing Program will
be selected based upon the criteria outlined below:
- The prospective student must obtain an admission packet
from the Nursing Department (618-634-3282; 800-481-
2242) or online at www.shawneecc.edu).
- The applicant must submit application materials to the
nursing department by the date designated in the
- The applicant must demonstrate successful completion of
an approved program of Practical Nursing.
- The applicant must successfully complete the admission
examination "Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS)
for Registered Nursing from the Assessment
Technologies Institute, LLC (ATI)." (Given in the testing
center of the College).
- The applicant must be able to prove physical fitness for
the program of study by submitting a completed Shawnee
Community College Physical Form.
- The applicant must complete with a "C" or better in ALL general eduation classes prior to the
beginning of the fall Practical Nursing classes.
- The applicant must submit to a criminal background
check and drug testing after admission into the program.
Upon satisfactory completion of the one-year program, the student will be eligible to write the NCLEX-PN Examination for Practical Nurses.
Current BLS Healthcare Provider Certification must be held current through the completion of the program.