Dual Credit Program
The Shawnee Dual Credit program is a cooperative agreement between
- Shawnee Community College
- Five County Regional Vocational System
- Public high schools and working with
- Community Leaders
- Parents and Students
Partnership enables high school students to begin earning college credit
while simultaneously earning high school credit; all, while staying in
their own high school environment.
simply take high school career/technical classes in an approved program
area and earn “dual credit”. The
student will be fulfilling high school requirements as well as earning
college credit towards a specific degree or certificate at the same time.
Dual Credit is a
challenging course of study allowing high school students to acquire
more technical oriented knowledge and skills. This
sequence of both academic and vocational courses prepares students for
Dual Credit is…
transitions, helping students access and move from high school to higher
education smoothly and preparing students for a better school-to-work transition
and Tech Prep is about options making students aware
of opportunities in technical careers and associate degree programs.
of Dual Credit
- Better prepares and meets the needs of students entering the workforce.
- There is no cost for the student to participate.
- SCC tuition is waived (as long as the student passes with a C or better).
- Encourages students to explore career options.
- Integrates and articulates academic and technical subjects at the high school and community college level.
- By earning high school and college credit simultaneously, students can graduate early from college.
- Provides career awareness and planning.
- The material covered will be college level.
- Students learn the ability to solve technical problems.
Dual Credit Sequence
Prep sequence consists of academic and technical courses taught
during the two years of secondary school prior to graduation, continuing
at a two-year community college leading to an associate of applied science
Prep students interested in continuing with general education courses
should refer to pages 22-23 of the SCC College Catalog for escrow guidelines.
About Dual Credit | Current Programs | Steps for Dual Credit |
Participating High Schools
For More Information Contact:
Admissions and Advising
at 1-800-481-2242 or (618) 634-3200 or e-mail